On Saturday, Sept 10th John got a phone call that
a member of the district presidency wanted to come over and talk to us. The district Young Women president had moved
over the summer so I was feeling nervous.
He came over at 10pm and extended the call to be the district YW president. I said, “Yes.” A change of heart is a real thing – because a
week earlier I had told John that I felt sorry for whomever they were going to
call to that position. Mostly I was
nervous because girls’ camp was on the calendar for October 14th and
15th and nothing had been planned for it. And I don’t camp! The next five weeks I spent preparing girls’
camp. Our district has five branches;
three of those branches have young women (a total of 34 girls). I was given a counselor in the Shanghai
branch (Julie Wardle), and the young women presidents were very helpful. I could not have done camp without John’s
help!
I used the theme that my sister-in-law’s stake had used that
summer – B.O.O.T Camp (Building Our Own Testimonies). Some of the highlights were camp skits, horse back riding, a testimony hike, certification (on first aid, fires and knots) tin foil dinners and hot chocolate,
t-shirts and dog tags, and the testimony meeting Saturday night by the camp
fire. It was a success. The greatest highlight for me was having John and
Emma there! I love serving in Young Women!
Love this girl!
Jane Farnsworth, Laurel and Dori Shaner (friends from the Pudong Branch)
Sending this into the New Era!
Not your typical hike
On our hike
Watching First Aid skits
John taught all the girls how to start fires
We stayed at a horse camp
John loading the wagon after we took down the tents
Tin foil dinners
