Sunday, March 18, 2012

Highlights from Feb/Mar

Emma
  • Emma was in her Middle school’s play on Feb 9-11. It was a comedy The Greek Mythology Olympiaganza by Don Zolidis. Emma played Prometheus (the smart “nerdy” Titan) and the the MC for a beauty pageant. The cast did an amazing job and had everyone laughing. Emma lights up the stage—we love watching her.
  • Maddie Seely was on a waiting list to attend Concordia Middle school and she got in the week of Feb 13th. Emma and Maddie don’t have any classes together, but they love being at the same school and sitting by each other during lunch. They both played on volleyball teams this month. It has been fun for Maddie to come home each Thursday night with Emma after volleyball practice, eat dinner with us, and go to the Young Women’s activity together. Volleyball ended yesterday with a tournament against all the other International schools in Shanghai–they each played six games and came home exhausted.
  • Emma just finished the Hunger Games series. John read them five years ago, James read them over Christmas, I am reading them now…we can’t wait for the movie!
  • Emma had a solo in her choir concert last Wednesday night to the song “Can You Hear?”. She sang and played the guitar to “Jump and Fall” (by Taylor Swift) for our branch talent show. She sang a trio, “Live It” (with Maddie and Shannon Spencer) for New Beginnings and a District Youth Fireside.
  • Emma is still taking piano and guitar lessons, and whenever she sings the mood in our home changes for the better.
James
  • James earned his second class in scouts a few weeks ago. He loves having his cousin, Tate, in his Boy Scout troop. They have a good time together on the camp-outs. John is the troop’s merit badge counselor and attends most of their meetings and camp-outs.
  • James did a great job in his choir concert last week. He smiles and sways as he sings and the audience enjoys watching him.
  • James is in Lego League this semester. The team meets after school each Tuesday. They are building a robot and ready for a competition in a few weeks.
  • James is still taking piano and guitar lessons. He is pretty amazing on the piano, and was disappointed that there was no piano at our branch talent show. He was prepared to play “Linus and Lucy” from Charlie Brown.
Eliza
  • On March 13th I took Eliza to the orthodontist to see what to do about her cross-bite. She recommended braces on her four front teeth. We thought we would have to reschedule but she put them on right then and there. Her new smile surprised the family when we came home.
  • Eliza loves going to girl scouts twice a month. In February I was on the committee for the Daddy/Daughter dance. I helped with decorations and bought 80 pink pearl bracelets for all the girls in attendance. John and Eliza looked great at the dance and had a fun time!
  • Eliza is the Librarian in their Elementary school musical “Nightingale.” The musical will be the first weekend in May. She stays after school every Monday and Thursday for practice. I attend the Monday practices and help with choreography. I love working with this age (3rd-4th graders).
  • Eliza practices the piano and violin without being asked. That makes me smile!
Tessa
  • She is strong, stubborn and tough. She has been in a lot of pain for a month and a half with Myositis and hardly complains.
  • She decided two months ago that she no longer wants to wear pants. She wears a skirt and leggings every day.
  • She smiles when we refer to our trip to Cincinnati as our “girl’s trip.”
John
  • Crazy busy at work.
  • Crazy busy at church. His Sunday schedule today: 5:30am leave for branch presidency meetings. 8:30-11:30 church. 11:30-12:00 meeting. 2:00 choir practice. 4:00-6:00pm scout meeting. 6:00-7:00pm another meeting with branch presidency. 7-9pm home teaching.
  • Did a great job being Mr. Mom while I was gone for 13 days (Hong Kong and Cincinnati).
Laurel
  • I had some fun b-day celebrations in February! Tuesday, Feb 14th, I met John for lunch at work to celebrate Valentine’s Day. Wednesday my friends took me out to breakfast. Thursday, the morning of my b-day I taught Zumba. Two of my friends came early and decorated the room with dozens of helium balloons and painted all over the mirrors. I taught dance at Tessa’s school and they gave me a brownie and sang to me. John gave me an I-pad and the kids made me nice cards. We went out to eat Friday night. We had Sunday dinner at the Olsen’s house to celebrate both Jeff and I turning 38 this month.
  • I had a blast in Hong Kong for Women’s Conference. My friends and I have planned and looked forward to this for a year. We stayed up until 2am each night laughing and talking, and then up at 7am to go to the conference. I was touched by several of the talks and was inspired to make some changes in my life. My favorite talks were the ones that focused on the temple. I love the Hong Kong Temple! We had time to go to several restaurants and do some shopping. I spent Thursday morning with Jane Farnsworth (and youth leaders from Beijing and Hong Kong) checking out the site where we will have youth conference.
  • My calling as District YW president keeps me busy. We are planning a five district youth conference to Hong Kong in April. We have had some great firesides and activities lately. We have a fireside coming up next Sunday right after District Conference. I need to prepare 80 brownbag lunches to feed all the youth.
  • It was nice to be home in Cincinnati for a week. I love my mom’s cooking more than any other food in the world. I am grateful for good parents and knowledgeable doctors.
  • I love sitting next to Becky Olsen during Sunday school and Relief Society. I feel like those moments give us strength as we go our separate ways during the week. I don’t know anyone that is under more pressure right now than Becky. It is prayer, faith, and love that keep us moving…