Wednesday, November 5, 2014

James gets braces

We love our orthodontist, Doctor Grace.  She is a local Chinese lady that was trained overseas and speaks English.  She works at the International dentist office where most of the expatriate families go.  Because she is local you have to ask for her specifically because the office really wants you to use the (more expensive) foreign doctors.  She was the one that did Eliza, Emma and my braces.  We have given her good business, referred all our friends to her, and in the process have become good friends.  She appreciates the referrals we give her and she was so sympathetic with us when Tessa was battling JDM. 

A few weeks ago I took James in for his x-rays and molds for braces.  He will need 6 brackets on top and 6 on bottom for about 5-6 months.  Prices have gone up in the last four years so unfortunately, getting braces here is now even more expensive than in the states.  At the appointment I paid the $200 for the x-rays and molds.  When I tried to schedule an appointment for braces she told me she would call me.  She called a few days later and said she wanted to do something special for our family.  She told me she would like James to go to her local friends’ dentist office and she would meet us there to put the braces on.  So James and I showed up last Wednesday, October 29th, after school.  This dental office was very simple but clean.  She had brought her own supplies and after about 30 minutes James’ braces were on.  She told me I needed to pay $200 for her to rent the office space from her friend.  She told us to come back once a month, meet her there on her day off (Wednesdays), and she would tighten the braces.  She also said she will do James' permanent retainer.  James and I were shocked.  Braces for only $400?  I felt like she had handed me a check for $5,000!  What a kind thing for her to do for us!!  I told her it wasn’t necessary but she insisted that she wanted to do this for our family.  What a blessing.  She told me not to tell any of my friends here because she would only be able to do this for James.  (Mums the word—good thing my blog is private.)

Before braces - on Saturday, October 11th, James modeled winter coats for a company called Eton Kidd.  He was reluctant but couldn't say no when he heard how much money they would pay him ($340).  He was gone for 8 hours and said the studio was super hot, but it paid for one month of his mission so it was totally worth it.