It is always hard to leave home even if it is just for a few days - but I wasn’t going to miss my Dad’s wedding in Utah! I typed up a detailed list of everyone’s schedules, stocked the freezer and fridge, and listed what to eat for meals for the next five days. John arranged to work two of those afternoons from home. The kids were excited to have me go since they knew I could bring back Christmas presents from America!
I landed in SLC on Thursday, December 3rd. Karen picked me up from the airport and took me straight to do some Christmas shopping. We hit Sam’s Club, Michael’s, and the mall. That night I attended their high school Christmas concert. The proceeds were to benefit a family in their area that had lost both parents. The aunt took in the four kids and is raising them. Kate performed several numbers and lit up the stage.
On Friday Heather, Marcia and Becky flew in. Grant and Anna now live in Orem so they drove up. Marcia’s oldest daughter Emily drove from BYU-I with her husband and baby Hyrum. Karen hosted a family dinner so we could meet Gayle. This was Becky, Heather and my first time meeting Gayle. It was so good to be together. It was great to see how happy Gayle and dad make each other.
We found out that my Dad’s only sister, Maridon McAllister Morrison, had passed away in CA that day. My dad didn’t say much about it but I know it was heavy on his mind.
The siblings
Elder Bruce Hafen sealed dad and Gayle Rockwood in the Provo temple on Saturday, December 5th. He said, “Seasoning brings wisdom. Second marriages are sweet and seasoned.” It was nice to stay back in the room with my siblings and talk with Elder Hafen. We couldn’t hold back the tears as we could feel my mom’s hand involved in all of these events.
The weather was perfect, many friends and family were in attendance, and Gayle looked gorgeous. Karen’s friend had done the bouquet with gardenias — Gayle’s favorite flower. Gayle also really appreciated the matching cream cashmere scarves from China. We attended a beautiful wedding luncheon at the White Willow in Provo. Gayle said some beautiful things about mom. It was nice to meet many of Gayle’s close friends and family.
After the lunch we changed at Rachel and Maggie's Provo apartment and attended the Norman Rockwell art exhibit at BYU. We stopped by Grant and Anna’s new house. We were impressed with all the painting and new floors and carpet they put in. That night we went to Festival of Trees where Kate danced. Mike took Heather, Becky and me to In-N-Out burger and one last shopping trip to get American Christmas candy and stocking stuffers. Heather flew the red eye home. Becky flew home Sunday morning.
Marica and I attended the Wilkinsons ward. Greg Cook, a friend from Shanghai, pulled some strings and got me ten tickets to the 1st Presidency Christmas Devotional. Dad and Gayle joined us! After a quick honeymoon in SLC the newlyweds flew to California and will live in Gayle’s home in Magalia. Once winter is over, they plan on living a few months in Cincinnati to get Dad’s house ready to sell.
It was exciting for me that Elder L. Whitney Clayton and Sister Linda K. Burton were speakers at the Devotional. John was mission companions with Elder Clayton’s son and BYU roommates with Sister Burton’s son. Those families were sitting just a few rows ahead of us so afterwards I was able to snap some pictures with them and have them text John a message!
Before the devotional started I met Sister Wixom (General Primary President) and she gave me a hug. It inspired me to re-read her last conference talk once I was back home. More on that later...
Karen and Marcia took me to the airport on Monday morning. I was sad to leave them. It was such a wonderful few days of healing and family time for me. It was an uplifting time that brought back into perspective what makes me truly happy in life.








