Sunday, October 9, 2016

Mia

IMG_8603

Mia likes her new school.  In the picture above she is the last one on the right in the front row.  Most of her classmates are Asian wanting to learn English.  Her teachers are sweet and patient with Mia and we really feel like this is a good fit for her.  They have an Ayi in the classroom that will change Mia's diaper and hold her hand when they need to walk somewhere quickly.

IMG_8588

Mia is about the most stubborn kid I’ve ever met.  I know she is just testing me!  All the books say she is trying to establish her place in our family and it will just take time.  She screams and cries and throws the silliest temper tantrums.  If she knows that I don’t like it she does it even more.  For example, when I’m holding her she puts her fingers in her mouth just because she knows I don’t like it when she does this.  I try not to react.  Never before has anyone tried my patience this much.  Our friends at church and school think Mia is adorable — she is so obedient and happy for everyone else.  Everyone loves her but she causes so much stress, noise and tension in our home.  When Eliza needs to leave Mia after spending hours loving and playing with her, Mia will spit, pinch or scratch her.  It is ridiculous.  Any advice is welcome!  

Her bowels are baffling!  We can’t figure her out and wonder how much longer she will be in diapers. I have started praying that Michigan doctors can help us.  Patience.  

IMG_8519

We do have some wonderful moments with Mia.  Everyday we are learning and loving together. There have been a few  tender mercy moments where I know that we are connecting — I’ll see it in Mia’s eyes that she feels safe, happy and loves being part of our family.  I honestly could not do this without the support of John and the kids.  They love Mia and are so easy to laugh with her and to forgive her.  And heaven knows I would not be doing this if I didn’t feel like it is what the Lord has asked us to do.  It really is the hardest thing I’ve ever done.  

John’s mission companion (Whitney Clayton) was visiting the other day from Utah and spoke to Mia in Chinese. Mia told him that she loves her mom, dad and siblings and is so happy in our home.  Then, a few days later she told us that she wanted to go live with our Ayi. 

IMG_8570

When we first got Mia, John went and had leg braces made for her.  It has been 10 months and the braces are getting too small and the straps are broken.  Thankfully our driver was willing to come with me to get a new pair made.  I really feel like I am stepping back in time when I enter local Chinese hospitals.  This picture says it all… the dirty floor, gross cabinets, random wooden chair, x-acto knife just left on the floor… I used wet wipes to wash Mia’s feet when the doctor was done.

IMG_8571