Sunday, January 22, 2017

Maldives

John and I spent four days in the Maldives.  We left the evening of January 1st.  What a great way to start 2017.  Emma held down the fort at home.  This was a vacation of a life-time!  I loved every minute.  Expect for the flight delay getting there.  We missed our connecting flight in Hong Kong so we were put on a flight to Sri Lanka where we had to spend the night.

The Maldives are made up of 1,200 islands in the northern Indian Ocean.  Several of the islands are amazing vacation resorts.  From the airport we took a 45 minutes speed boat to this island (Olhuveli Beach).  The highlight for me was just talking and relaxing with John. One morning we went on a three hour snorkeling tour.  John was braver than me and spent all three hours in the water where he saw a 4 foot shark.  The fish were some of the most vibrant he had seen (even beating some of his scuba diving trips).  I did see a sea turtle which was super cool.

IMG_0013

IMG_0116

IMG_0030

Above is the view from our room. Below is one of the six restaurants on the island.

IMG_0110

IMG_1308

Above is John and our guide snorkeling.  I stayed in the boat for most of it.  After getting stung by jelly fish I thought working on my tan would be more fun.

Below is a shark in the shallow waters just outside our hotel room. 

IMG_0027

IMG_0123