Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Letter from John's mom

When I arrived in Detroit John and James were there waiting for me, James in his cub scout uniform, having just come from pack meeting.  He looked so handsome!  It was wonderful to be there with John and Laurel and their family and to be a part of their daily activities.  Since the oldest three have school during the day, on Thursday Laurel and I took Tessa to a nearby park to feed the ducks, go for a stroll, and then go to the public library.  It was obvious that Tessa was a frequent patron and Laurel warned me that the hardest thing about going to the library was prying Tessa away when it was time to go home.  I could see why since it was full of exciting activities for all ages of children. 

On Friday afternoon I tagged along as Laurel attended a Mother's Day program in Eliza's school class. Eliza had prepared ahead and included me in on all the festivities even though I was the only grandma there.  It was a very touching presentation including skits, songs, original compositions, gift-giving and refreshments.  I was so grateful for the opportunity to see Eliza's school, meet her teacher and friends and get a feel for the community. That evening we attended a fund-raiser sponsored by the school that featured all sorts of booths. It put me in mind of years gone by and the hectic schedule we'd keep with several kids in school and all their activities.  I was so impressed with John and Laurel's situation and friends! 

On Friday I went with Laurel when she taught her class at the local gym/community recreation club.  I didn't think that I was up to being in her fitness class but I did spent the hour walking on the indoor track and then watched a senior citizen swim class.  I also went with James to his swim lessons and enjoyed seeing all the classes offered.  It was a busy place with something for the entire family and even a nursery available for the toddlers. 

 Although I wasn't there for a dance or piano recital, Emma performed for me the three dances that she will be competing with and all the children played their piano pieces for me.  In fact, I was able to sit in on their practice times in the mornings before they left for school and I was so pleased with how well they are doing. 

On Thursday and Friday evenings when the house had quieted down John and I spent time on his computer going over the journal entries that I have been compiling and he was able to format them for me and get me registered with "Lulu" so that I am ready to submit them when I finish things up.  He has done it enough that he knew just what to do.  I felt guilty adding to his load since he has been under a lot of pressure at work as well as the usual demands with family and church work. 

 On Saturday morning we left for Midland and arrived there about noon. We got along pretty well on the two hour trip except for towards the end when everyone was getting hungry and restless.  I was sitting in the front next to John and he commented that on long trips they usually (1) entertain, (2) bribe, and (3) threaten.  Just as he made this comment James called from the back asking if his Dad had a gun.  His timing was perfect for the moment and without hesitation, John responded that it was in the console between the seats.  For a split second I became a believer in the "threaten" John had mentioned only to have him reach in the console and pull out some "gum".  We had a good laugh over my misunderstanding! 

It was so nice for me to get to see Paul and Jenny's new home and their expansive yard. Although I had been to Canton before this was my first time visiting in Midland.  Their home is located in a very nice neighborhood and close to an elementary and junior high school.  Paul and Jenny have done an amazing amount of work on the house, remodeling the kitchen, laying a hardwood floor, putting in new windows and of course, completely siding it last year.  I was so impressed with what a lovely home it is and although it has kept them busy with all the updates, it is a great house with lots of room for their growing family.  One of my favorite things about it was the large wooden deck that extends almost the entire length of the house in the back. 

 After lunch, although it had been quite cool and stormy, we spent some time at the "Dow Gardens" in Midland.  The gardens are lovely and  were obviously a popular place for the community.  The only problem we had was that it was prom and between photographers taking pictures of high school couples and elaborate bridal parties, we had to be careful that our group of seven rambunctious children didn't get in the middle of some couple's dream portrait.  I could understand why it is a favorite spot for wedding pictures; there were beautiful streams, trees, flowers, and other picturesque sights.  When we first arrived there was a stretch limo parked out front and the wedding parties were coming and going the whole time we were there. 

That evening Jenny, Laurel, and the older girls attended a concert at the church and Paul, John, and I kept track of the younger kids.  Before the night was over John became quite sick and so Laurel ended up driving the two hours back to Canton while he rested.  I worried that his headache was partially my fault from all the late nights we had worked on the computer and visited.  Laurel and I would usually catch a nap the following day but John would go to bed late and arise early for work so he was worn out.  Sunday afternoon we made the long trip back to Canton to share a wonderful Mother's Day meal at John and Laurel's.  I worried about all the hours in the car with the four little ones but they took the trip in their stride.  Laurel was such a gracious hostess to welcome us after her late night trip the night before, John's early departure for bishopric meetings Sunday morning, and the fact that no one had really made much of a fuss over her on this special Mother's Day.  She and Jenny both had put aside their own comforts for that day to entertain me and I really appreciated their efforts to make the day a memorable one for me. 

About six we loaded up and headed for home.