Tessa had tubes put in her ears when she was six months old. By December of 2008 they had both fallen out. I was adamant about replacing the tubes right away, since her speech was progressing and she had been passing all her hearing tests WITH the tubes. But her new ENT was not on board, she wanted to wait until Tessa had several ear infections or until the fall (hoping that the fluid would work its way out during the spring and summer months). At her January and March appointments she still had fluid in her ears and wasn't passing the hearing tests. Early May her audiologist said she was only hearing 20-30% out of her right ear and that her left ear had mild loss. After three ear infections and what I call substantial hearing loss, last Tuesday her ENT FINALLY agreed to replace the tubes. Thankfully she was the surgeon working the next day and had a 7:30am opening.
The surgery went beautifully. Tessa was nervous being in the hospital again, after just having spent 72 hours there. I told her it would be quick and we could get McDonalds for lunch. Bribes like "Dora DVD" and "McDonalds" can get Tessa to do about anything, even got her to drink the most disgusting (as described by Tessa) pain medicine prior to surgery.
At 8:10am her surgeon came to tell me everything went well...and that she was glad Tessa got the tubes now because it was worse than she thought.
Tessa recovered quickly and we were driving home at 9:10am--one of our fastest visits to the doctor! On the way home she said, "I am so brave!" I agreed!