John's sister Becky and her four kids spent Martin Luther King weekend with us. I was so excited (and flattered) when Becky called last fall --she had found reasonably priced airfare and they wanted to come visit us! Our kids are just a few months apart in age and so similar. It was great that we could get them together other than our bi-annual family reunions. All my Michigan friends thought she was crazy to want to leave sunny Arizona in January to come here to cold and snow.
We had three fun filled days with them. Saturday morning they came with us to the Summit (where I teach) and participated in our communities' big kick-off to heath. The program started with a free healthy breakfast in a banquet room, then you could choose from different activities and classes. Becky did the health screening and I was impressed when they said her "bad" cholesterol was "non existent." I was thrilled that their family added four more enthusiastic kids to the family Zumba class that I was teaching for the kick-off.
That afternoon we took them to tour the F-150 Truck Plant. The tour starts with a touching movie about the history of Ford. I warned Becky that John always gets teary during the movie but this time it was Becky that was touched. On one part of the tour there are hundreds of doors "flying" on conveyor belts and we commented that it looked like the movie "Monster's Inc." I liked how Tate would read all the interesting "fun facts" on the tour and he wanted to make sure that I had read them too. Becky is a great cook and taught us how to make calzones with spinach and artichoke hearts that night. The kids just had pepperoni on theirs.
On Sunday Paul and Jenny drove down from Midland and met us at church. With all 12 kids we made up about half the primary. We had a nice lunch and time to visit. On Monday the kids went sledding and played inside. Becky treated us to lunch at BDs Mongolian BBQ. Poor Maddie was feeling sick so she was down on the couch most of the day. It was sad to see them leave on Tuesday morning. Having family and cousins around for a few days gave us such a boost!
We had three fun filled days with them. Saturday morning they came with us to the Summit (where I teach) and participated in our communities' big kick-off to heath. The program started with a free healthy breakfast in a banquet room, then you could choose from different activities and classes. Becky did the health screening and I was impressed when they said her "bad" cholesterol was "non existent." I was thrilled that their family added four more enthusiastic kids to the family Zumba class that I was teaching for the kick-off.
That afternoon we took them to tour the F-150 Truck Plant. The tour starts with a touching movie about the history of Ford. I warned Becky that John always gets teary during the movie but this time it was Becky that was touched. On one part of the tour there are hundreds of doors "flying" on conveyor belts and we commented that it looked like the movie "Monster's Inc." I liked how Tate would read all the interesting "fun facts" on the tour and he wanted to make sure that I had read them too. Becky is a great cook and taught us how to make calzones with spinach and artichoke hearts that night. The kids just had pepperoni on theirs.
On Sunday Paul and Jenny drove down from Midland and met us at church. With all 12 kids we made up about half the primary. We had a nice lunch and time to visit. On Monday the kids went sledding and played inside. Becky treated us to lunch at BDs Mongolian BBQ. Poor Maddie was feeling sick so she was down on the couch most of the day. It was sad to see them leave on Tuesday morning. Having family and cousins around for a few days gave us such a boost!
At the Ford Plant
