Wednesday, March 17, 2010

"Zumba for Haiti"

My friend, Dede Dalton, asked me last month if I would be interested in doing a Zumba fundraiser for Haiti. She had been brainstorming with her son about doing an Eagle Scout project for Haiti. Here is how Zumba for Haiti started in her words:

"When we looked into that, we found out that they can't do fundraisers as their Eagle project. So then I looked into another way that he could help--by collecting supplies, but couldn't find anyone willing to take anything but monetary donations in our area. Overwhelming, the need is for money, so that the Red Cross can assess needs and use the funds as efficiently as possible.


I was disappointed, but then I started thinking that there must be a lot of people who feel the way I do--who really want to help, but maybe don't feel like their contribution would make much of a difference, and I figured we could all do something great, together. That's when "Zumba for Haiti" was born, and since then, I've been working hard to make it a success for Haiti, for the Summit as a community gathering place, and for the individuals who want to participate.


All of the Zumba instructors at the Summit will be participating, and we have invited several others from the community as well. We are lucky to have a DJ who was willing to donate their time and equipment, lots of wonderful door prizes, and a great facility to have it in. Laurel has also worked hard finding door prizes, remembering the details, publicizing, and just taking on half the load. I knew from day one that I couldn't make this work without her. I should also mention my daughter, Chelsea, who drew the picture on the flier. Even that brought tears to my eyes!"


It was such a fun night! And we raised over $1,600.

Check out this clip:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M1OTYShKZY8