Monday, March 1, 2010

"I know Jesus loves me!"

A story about Tessa, doctors, and primary songs...


Tessa is so happy to be a three-year-old Sunbeam in primary. She can tell us everything she learned in class on the way home from church. For FHE you can see how big she feels to know more Primary songs like the older kids.

On Friday, Feb 26th, she had her annual cardiology appointment. I knew it would be a long uncomfortable visit for her. I didn't used to warn her when we were going to the doctor, but by the time we would pull into the parking garage at the hospital her lower lip would quiver as she knew exactly where we were. I warn her now but only a few minutes before we get in the car.

In the car, on the way to her appointment, she was crying and nervous. I tried to comfort her, telling her everything the doctor wanted to do today and that it wouldn't hurt. I tried to explain the black stickers they would put on her chest for the EKG. They would also take pictures of her heart and put them on the computer. I told her she could lay down and watch a princess movie the whole time. She knew she would get McDonald's for lunch if she was brave but that wasn't even helping. In-between sobs she was murmuring "no pokes, no medicine, no doctors...I want to go home!"

Talking wasn't comforting her so I turned on the 2010 Primary program CD. The first song is a new one they learned in January called "I know that My Savior Loves Me." Immediately, Tessa stopped crying. Her face lit up. She started singing the song and I could see her relax in my rear view mirror. When the song was over I turned it down and she said, "Mom, I feel happy now. I know Jesus loves me." Now I was the one with tears in my eyes. The rest of the drive there I reminisced about Tessa's journey with doctors as we peacefully listened to the primary music.

The appointment lasted over two hours. Her echo-cardiogram results looked great and she doesn't have to do it again for four years. She was so brave. She had to lie still on a big hospital bed while they did an ultrasound of every angle of her heart -- even the blood flow up her neck, armpits, belly and back. She did not like the ultrasound jelly that they used and kept wanting the doctor to wipe it off. A few times I would remind her of the words to the song and she would relax again.

Here are the words of the song: I Know that My Savior Loves Me
A long time ago in a beautiful place, children were gathered 'round Jesus. He blessed and taught as they felt of His love, each saw the tears on His face. The love that he felt for His little ones I know He feels for me. I did not touch Him or sit on His knee, yet, Jesus is real to me.

I know He lives! I will follow faithfully. My heart I give to Him. I know that my Savior loves me.

Now I am here in a beautiful place, learning the teachings of Jesus. Parents and teachers will help guide the way, lighting my path every day. Wrapped in the arms of my Savior's love, I feel His gentle touch. Living each day, I will follow His way, home to my Father above.

Why Tessa fears doctors: beginning life in the NICU, ambulance to Children's hospital, heart surgery, blood work, hearing tests every month, surgery to get tubes in her ears, hearing tests every three months, x-rays of her feet to fit her shoes with orthotics, x-rays of her spine to check for scoliosis, x-rays of her hand for bone age tests, ingrown toenails, two toenails removed, two and a half years (and counting) of a daily growth hormone shot, well child immunizations, three days in the hospital for a staph infection in her finger, x-ray of her hand and arm to make sure staph infection didn't cause permanent damage, another set of tubes in her ears, visits to endocrinologist every three months, more blood work...

The doctor visits are some of the hardest times for me as a mother but also some of the sweetest! Thankfully, her appointments are becoming fewer and farther between.

I am grateful for all the doctors and nurses that have helped Tessa these last 3 1/2 years. Their sacrifices and specialties fill my heart with so much gratitude. These are challenges in Tessa's life that I could not help resolve without them. I am especially moved by the ones that get down to her level, make her (and me) feel like real people with real emotions, the ones that talk like Tigger and make her smile, that ask her about preschool, that give her stickers, that tell her she is so brave and big and special!