The day after we returned from Myrtle Beach John's mom came for a week. Wow, she was such a help! My heart is so filled with gratitude for everything she did--not only the physical things (laundry, making dinner, babysitting...) but also the emotional support. She showed interest in James by sitting at the computer for hours with him as she proof read a story that he is writing. She listened to the kids play the piano and watched them dance. She got on her hands and knees and played with Eliza and Tessa in the basement. She sat on the deck with her arms around James as they waited for a bird to come to the new bird feeder he made at scout camp. She bore testimony to them. She laughed at their jokes and showed empathy with their concerns. She patiently helped Eliza clean out her two junk drawers. She lovingly helped the kids work out their problems when they were fighting. She held them and read them books. She told them stories of her childhood late at night on their bedroom floor. She took them to the park and library. She sat in on their Chinese lessons.
This meant the world to me!! I have been a stressed out mother for months now trying to keep us alive preparing the crazy details for this move. I haven't had the time to do the nurturing that my kids need and crave. I could see them stand a little taller and smile more with Grandma here.
She is so observant and gave John and I great counsel every night. One night John and I laughed as we noticed that we were both sitting at her feet just listening to her wisdom. She makes me want to be a better person and mother.
Excerpt from Sue Larsen's June 28 family letter:
When I arrived at John and Laurel's it was obvious that they have been heavily involved in their own drama of getting ready for their upcoming move. The house looks a little empty with some of the furnishings gone (Craig's list) and packing piles throughout the house. It's all I can do to see them making all of these tough decisions in preparation for their trip to China. I'm trying to be brave and supportive but I can't even fathom liquidating almost all that you own and leaving for a foreign country. They are all in good spirits and saying their good-byes to all their associates and ward members and severing the ties that have bound them to this area now for the last four years. Sunday John was released from the bishopric and Laurel was supposed to have taught her last YW lesson but on Saturday night we received a phone call from the bishop saying that there had been an electrical fire in the building and there would be no YW, Primary, Sunday School or Relief Society and that the ward would meet in the gym for sacrament meeting. I felt badly that Laurel didn't get to teach one last time but the family will have another Sunday here before leaving so she was okay with it.
The kids are taking all this in their stride. They have learned that the international school they will be attending will be K-12 and have about 600 students. It offers strings, band, tennis and a host of wonderful opportunities. Tonight a Chinese teacher is arriving to start the children on Chinese lessons, courtesy of Ford Motor so I will sit in on that. They have been working with an interactive computer program on an individual basis and that has been a fun way to be introduced to the language, too.
I am reminded that each of you children live in a very different world than I do and I'm trying to be flexible and go with the flow. Who knows where your lives will take you. The wonderful thing is that as I visit each of you I feel a great sense of gratitude that each of you are trying to live the gospel and bring up your families in righteousness.
Excerpt from Sue Larsen's July 10 family letter:
As I mentioned in last week's letter I arrived at John and Laurels on Saturday and spent the following week with them prior to going to the cabin at Lake Michigan. When I first got to their home and saw the signs all around me of their upcoming departure, I felt a great sense of loss. Although they have been to China before, this time it's harder for me to let them go. That really doesn't make much sense since their situation will be so much more favorable than it was before. I think the thought of the distances involved makes it daunting.
Since I was the designated babysitter for much of the week, I was the one to answer the front door, greet the buyers, and help remove the furnishings that had been sold on Craig's List. At first I wanted to just tell the people, "Sorry, no thanks!", but of course, I didn't. When I finally identified my feelings, I realized that although their house was being disassembled, their home was still intact. I was getting the two confused. As the week went on and the details of their upcoming job, activities, and school were talked about I felt myself calm down and I determined to not say anything negative since Laurel and the kids were all being so accepting and excited about their upcoming adventure.
On Monday night when John drove me home to catch my flight I was able to listen in on a conference call John took from his Chinese and Brazilian connections. It was an eye opener to listen to him confer, supervise, and direct. I realized that he had come a long way since his years running a lawn mowing business. Maybe in a mother's eyes, her children will always be children. Anyway, after listening in on that session, I recognized that John and China may be forever linked and I've got to get on board and rejoice in this opportunity.
Let me mention a few of the myriad details Laurel and John were grappling with: disposing of all their possessions except the ones that would fit in their cargo crate; dental, medical, eye exams, passports and visas, Tessa's medications, home sale, yard care, severing Church assignments, flight and hotel accommodations for both Canton and Shanghai, dance studio and Zumba connections terminated, food accumulation of items not available in China, and return of cars prior to departure. The list goes on and on. Becky and Chet can certainly identify with all of this but it was overwhelming to me.
When Saturday arrived and we packed for the Lake Michigan trip I felt like it was so hard for them to pull away with everything pressing on them but they did and the time with Paul and Jenny and Shauntel and Randy and their families was a wonderful break from all the pressures of the previous months. I so appreciated being able to be with them for that week and not only assist in some small way but have my worries allayed, too.