On September 15th 170 boxes were delivered to our house (our sea shipment). Thankfully John took that day off work. It was an overwhelming day, but both John and I are organizing freaks, so by 10:00pm several rooms and the kitchen were put together. When the kids got home from school Emma said, “It smells like home!” John then went out of town for two days and I spent every hour that I had free organizing closets. We still have pictures to hang, ten boxes to unpack, and a filing cabinet to organize. It sure is nice having our things!
We bought an electric scooter that all the kids can ride in when I pick them up from the bus stop. Emma and James like driving it around our neighborhood, too.
This month has been very full and busy. We are into our after school activities and trying to get the weekly routine down.
Scouts – We were worried that James wouldn’t have scouts in China. We apparently did not need to worry! Our International school has 97 boys ( grades 1st-5th) signed up to do scouts this year. The program is so organized and the leaders are passionate. The only bad thing is that with our church scout troop boys start Webelos when they are ten. In most troops you begin Webelos in 4th grade. So James (a 5th grader) is with a fourth grade troop. They had a day camp last Saturday about 1 ½ hours away and James had a great time, passing off ten requirements!
Dance – Our school doesn’t have a middle school dance team yet. So the high school is letting Emma and another one of her classmates join them. They meet one day after school for technique and another day to learn routines. At church I met a friend, Marney, who also graduated from BYU in dance. Her parents run the BYU modern dance department. She is amazing. I begged her to teach dance at the school. She now teaches both Elementary and Middle school students modern dance after school. Eliza takes from her on Mondays and Emma on Wednesdays. Wow, we got so lucky!!
Soccer – Soccer doesn’t officially start for James’ until next week. James is not a soccer player. He is a swimmer. Unfortunately our school doesn’t have a pool or a swim team. Just this year they are trying to get a team together and they will practice at a local health club twice a week. Last week I signed him up. After school he took a bus to the health club with 12 other students and one parent chaperone--10 of the 12 are Asian girls. He felt alone. The coach only spoke Chinese. One of his classmates would translate to James “Keep your legs straight.” James said that he was easily a lap behind all of them the entire practice. Apparently these kids have been privately training for a while. I was to pick him up at 5:30. We got lost trying to find the place. At 5:45 we found James standing outside of the health club, alone, looking sad. I ran up and gave him a big hug and he said, “Please mom, don’t ever make me do that again.” So now he will try soccer.
Chinese lessons – I have private Chinese lessons on Monday afternoon. The tutor says she will only come to me if she can come twice a week (for a total of four hours). So I have her come Thursdays after school as well and she works with each of us individually, or with anyone who is home.
Zumba – I have started teaching Zumba on Tuesday and Thursday mornings to anyone that wants to come. It is so much fun. It is my outlet, my exercise, my detox, my drug of choice, my social interaction with adults, my me-time!
Date Night - Even though life is so busy John and I have had time for a few fun dates. We went to the World Expo! It has been the talk of Shanghai for years. They have been cleaning up the city like they would to host the Olympics. It opened in May and will end October 31st. We heard horror stories of big crowds but we went anyway. We spent five hours there one Friday night and were able to see most of the country pavilions. Thailand, Australia and USA were my favorite ones. We couldn't go into the China pavilion since all those tickets are given out in the morning. But they told us that the China pavilion will not be taken down, so we can see it next year.
Can we count the three “back to school nights,” that we have attended this month, as dates?
For another “date night” John came with me as I got my haircut. He translated and then he just sat in the chair next to me and we talked while they cut my hair. A haircut in China is a two hour process. Not very romantic, but super sweet! And tonight we are going to a Greek restaurant and then renting a Karaoke room with some friends from church. John will be singing, I will be listening.
Emma is a great babysitter. We don’t pay her with money, but she gets rewarded. Tomorrow she will get her first manicure/pedicure as thanks for going above and beyond with babysitting this month.
Church - We feel very welcome in our branch. We have been invited to five family’s homes for Sunday dinner since moving here. Talk about a grand welcome! I have been teaching the 6 year olds in Primary each Sunday. John doesn’t have a church calling yet. We both gave sacrament talks on September 12th on The Family, A Proclamation to the World. I taught a few Zumba dances during an adult branch Mexican Fiesta social. After district conference last Saturday we went to a fun Restaurant with several other couples. This afternoon I attended a baby shower for a lady that I started visiting teaching this month.
Scouts – We were worried that James wouldn’t have scouts in China. We apparently did not need to worry! Our International school has 97 boys ( grades 1st-5th) signed up to do scouts this year. The program is so organized and the leaders are passionate. The only bad thing is that with our church scout troop boys start Webelos when they are ten. In most troops you begin Webelos in 4th grade. So James (a 5th grader) is with a fourth grade troop. They had a day camp last Saturday about 1 ½ hours away and James had a great time, passing off ten requirements!
Dance – Our school doesn’t have a middle school dance team yet. So the high school is letting Emma and another one of her classmates join them. They meet one day after school for technique and another day to learn routines. At church I met a friend, Marney, who also graduated from BYU in dance. Her parents run the BYU modern dance department. She is amazing. I begged her to teach dance at the school. She now teaches both Elementary and Middle school students modern dance after school. Eliza takes from her on Mondays and Emma on Wednesdays. Wow, we got so lucky!!
Soccer – Soccer doesn’t officially start for James’ until next week. James is not a soccer player. He is a swimmer. Unfortunately our school doesn’t have a pool or a swim team. Just this year they are trying to get a team together and they will practice at a local health club twice a week. Last week I signed him up. After school he took a bus to the health club with 12 other students and one parent chaperone--10 of the 12 are Asian girls. He felt alone. The coach only spoke Chinese. One of his classmates would translate to James “Keep your legs straight.” James said that he was easily a lap behind all of them the entire practice. Apparently these kids have been privately training for a while. I was to pick him up at 5:30. We got lost trying to find the place. At 5:45 we found James standing outside of the health club, alone, looking sad. I ran up and gave him a big hug and he said, “Please mom, don’t ever make me do that again.” So now he will try soccer.
Chinese lessons – I have private Chinese lessons on Monday afternoon. The tutor says she will only come to me if she can come twice a week (for a total of four hours). So I have her come Thursdays after school as well and she works with each of us individually, or with anyone who is home.
Zumba – I have started teaching Zumba on Tuesday and Thursday mornings to anyone that wants to come. It is so much fun. It is my outlet, my exercise, my detox, my drug of choice, my social interaction with adults, my me-time!
Date Night - Even though life is so busy John and I have had time for a few fun dates. We went to the World Expo! It has been the talk of Shanghai for years. They have been cleaning up the city like they would to host the Olympics. It opened in May and will end October 31st. We heard horror stories of big crowds but we went anyway. We spent five hours there one Friday night and were able to see most of the country pavilions. Thailand, Australia and USA were my favorite ones. We couldn't go into the China pavilion since all those tickets are given out in the morning. But they told us that the China pavilion will not be taken down, so we can see it next year.
Can we count the three “back to school nights,” that we have attended this month, as dates?
For another “date night” John came with me as I got my haircut. He translated and then he just sat in the chair next to me and we talked while they cut my hair. A haircut in China is a two hour process. Not very romantic, but super sweet! And tonight we are going to a Greek restaurant and then renting a Karaoke room with some friends from church. John will be singing, I will be listening.
Emma is a great babysitter. We don’t pay her with money, but she gets rewarded. Tomorrow she will get her first manicure/pedicure as thanks for going above and beyond with babysitting this month.
Church - We feel very welcome in our branch. We have been invited to five family’s homes for Sunday dinner since moving here. Talk about a grand welcome! I have been teaching the 6 year olds in Primary each Sunday. John doesn’t have a church calling yet. We both gave sacrament talks on September 12th on The Family, A Proclamation to the World. I taught a few Zumba dances during an adult branch Mexican Fiesta social. After district conference last Saturday we went to a fun Restaurant with several other couples. This afternoon I attended a baby shower for a lady that I started visiting teaching this month.
Emma went to the World Expo with the youth group last Friday. We have two African members of our branch that are here to run the Angola pavilion. They gave VIP passes, a bag, t-shirt and hat to each of the youth. She had a great time. At 11:00pm she texted me saying “Great time. On my way home!”
On my Christmas wish list: A phone with a key board. I am the slowest texter in the world! Everyone texts now – and when they text me they need an immediate response, including my driver and Tessa’s teacher.
On my Christmas wish list: A phone with a key board. I am the slowest texter in the world! Everyone texts now – and when they text me they need an immediate response, including my driver and Tessa’s teacher.