Four days into our Bali trip, I asked Tessa what her favorite part had been so far. After thoughtful consideration, she said, "the time you bought me a snickers at Circle-K!" I guess you never know what could make an impression on your kids! I'm sure Laurel did not realize her response to the cat would be so memorable to the older kids. I guess one way or another we are creating family memories!
For me, the best part of Bali was simply spending day and night with Laurel and the kids. Walks on the beach with Laurel, exploring the jungle with James, playing Woody/Rex/Ham with Eliza and Tessa in the pool, teaching Emma and James to snorkel, playing "Navy Seals," and riding bikes through the countryside. As the kids get older, it gets easier and easier to do things together and truly enjoy our time.
The other benefit of Bali was simply the variety of options. We had plenty of time to swim and relax in the sun, but also got to visit ancient temples, parks, and cultural events. The Kecak performance on Uluwatu was stunning for me. There was also more than enough time (from my perspective!) to shop. I loved trying different Balinese dishes at each meal, and sleeping in each morning. Overall, I am grateful we had the opportunity to become familiar with this amazing place and people, and I feel rejuvenated by the time together with family!