James’ PE teacher, Laura Fitzgerald, asked if we would watch her dog Didi for Christmas break. It would be a total of 19 days. Hmmm that was easy, my answer was “Sorry, NO WAY!” But strange, the next day after getting her email, I felt like I should say yes. John about fell off his chair when I agreed and the kids jumped for JOY! Didi made our Christmas so much fun! He slept in James' bed and was so easy going letting Tessa, Eliza and their friends drag him around everywhere. We had fun playing with him, walking him and dressing him up. We fell in love and were very sad to say goodbye.
On Monday, Jan 2nd our last day of vacation, John and I came downstairs to THIS! The kids were so sad because in a few hours Didi would be going home.
Dave Johnson spoke in sacrament meeting last Sunday on service. He told of how they were sick with worry when packing and moving to China wondering who would watch their dog when they got to China. They are staying in a hotel for several weeks until they can move into a house. Hotels don't allow dogs! He felt like he should call John to see if we could help them find someone. The Johnsons (like most of our friends) knew that I am not a dog person. John answered the phone and Dave could hear Didi in the background. He said it was such a tender mercy to hear a dog in our house!
Is it possible that my fear and detest for dogs has changed after 37 years so that I could serve Laura Fitzgerald and the Johnson family…and well, make my kids super happy!
Slate, welcome to China!
