Friday, September 26, 2014

Tessa's Surgery

(An email I wrote on July 11, 2014)

For the last four months we have been negotiating with insurance for pre-approval of Tessa's plastic surgery for her webbed neck and right ear.  On Tuesday we met with the surgeon and found out the surgery had finally been approved that morning.  We were so grateful and felt like our prayers had been answered!  We scheduled the surgery for Sept 22, expecting to have to make a special trip back. After the appointment Tessa and I were waiting to get her blood taken to see if her growth hormone or JDM medications needed to be adjusted.  While in that waiting room the sweet secretary that I have been emailing since March (she has helped with 2 appeals to our insurance) came running to find us.  She told us that she had blocked July 11th, 7:00am for Tessa's surgery in the hopes that insurance would come through.  She asked, "So do you want the appointment?"  I was in shock and so happy -- through my tears I replied, "YES!"
John drove to OH from MI last night.  He gave Tessa a blessing at 5am and we headed to Cincinnati Children's hospital.  Tessa is in surgery right now.  She should be out at 11:30am.
This is all such a relief, blessing and tender mercy for sure!!

(An email I wrote on July 12, 2014)

We met with the surgeon immediately after he was finished.  The surgery took four hours. He said -- "Everything went well. I think she will be happy with the results."

He doesn't want to put any gauze or bandages on today so it has been constant blood and a mess.
It is 6:00pm and she still hasn't been able to eat anything.  One bite of a soft pretzel but that came back up.  She is pretty nauseous and swollen.  The nurses are constantly asking her, "Where does it hurt?"  She says --  "My neck. I just had surgery so I need to get used to how my new neck feels."  So sweet.
https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5574/15119917819_f63b0b60fa.jpg
https://farm4.staticflickr.com/3897/15120135377_77208b91ab.jpg
https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5587/15119919739_6129735ecf.jpg
https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5574/15119988370_bc932a6f06.jpg
https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5552/15303548121_9dc1ba10ef.jpg
https://farm4.staticflickr.com/3845/15306698505_ef06892308.jpg
We brought Tessa home from the hospital late Saturday night.  She didn’t sleep well that night, so just John and Eliza went to church.  That evening we left the Edwards house and drove to Michigan so John could continue to work there that week.  Work was very stressful for him during this time.  He was in the middle of preparations for a review of China strategy with the Board of Directors, and trying to get things ready for his vacation.

It was a little challenging having Tessa recover in the hotel.  We just took things slow the next few days.  I loved spending time with my Zumba friend, Dede Dalton while Eliza and Tessa played with her daughter Brynna.  I took two of Dede's Zumba classes, we team taught a class and we also choreographed four new songs.  I also loved catching up with my good friend Julie Dyal.