Saturday, March 5, 2016

Chinese New Year (Feb 2016)

I teach Zumba one night a week (Wednesday nights).  Emma has been coming lately and I love having her there.  Wednesday, Feb 3rd, John was in India, so Eliza and James were holding down the fort.  At the beginning of my Zumba class Eliza called and said that Mia slammed her finger in the door and that I should come home.  I wasn’t sure how bad it was so I sent Emma home with the driver and called the ladies that I knew in our neighborhood to check it out, but no one answered their phone.  I told Emma to have the driver take Mia to the hospital if it looked bad.  China doesn’t have good emergency rooms.  All the “good” doctors go home by 5pm.  I continued my class while our driver, Emma, James and Eliza all went to several hospitals with Mia — but no one would see her.  No one would even clean it.  I took a taxi home after my class and arrived home the same time the driver was coming back.  If I had known how bad it was I would have canceled my class and gone home!  By then a few neighbors were returning my call.  One that speaks Chinese came with me to one more hospital.  Still no doctor but someone there agreed to clean and bandage it.  I gave Mia Motrin and she was asleep as soon as I put her in bed around 11:30.
IMG_5222
 
IMG_5227
 
The next morning I made a few phone calls and visited two doctors.  Thankfully John was schedule to fly in from India that afternoon.  Surgery (grafting skin from her elbow to her finger) was an option, but there were a lot of potential downsides.  I asked the doctor what he would do if it were his daughter and her said that he would just let it heal on it’s own.  So we got supplies and instructions to care for her finger then drove to her school.  We passed all the information on to the teacher that would be watching her the next day and over the week of Chinese New Year.  
 
When John got home Mia told him her side of the story.  Eliza and James were upstairs doing homework.  Tessa was in her room.  Tessa didn’t want Mia to come in.  Tessa’s bedroom door (hinge side) closed on Mia’s left ring finger.  Mia had probably been walking away from Tessa and had her hand there for balance.  She didn’t cry but loudly asked Tessa to open the door.  Tessa didn’t understand and didn’t know that Mia was hurt.  Mia, not knowing if the door would ever open, pulled her hand away from the door and that is why the top of her finger was cut off.  Ouch!  John hugged her and told her that we were so sorry this happened to her.  She said something like, “Oh well, there is nothing we could have done.  Accidents happen.”  This sweet girl understand accidents.  
 
IMG_5224
 
The next morning it was sad to say goodbye to Mia for a week.  We wish we had a passport for her.  She had her suitcase packed and knew how to take care of her finger and when to take her medicine so she could remind her teacher.  The school was closing for Chinese New Year so Mia and another boy from her class stayed at her teacher’s house.  We received updates and Mia looked happy and seemed to be having a good time. 
 
We all needed this vacation.  John has been so busy and stressed with work and travel.  School, homework, seminary, adoption paper work, adding a new kid to the mix — we all just needed a break.  And Cebu, Philippines turned out to be just the vacation we all needed!!  We stayed four nights at the Crimson Resort and four nights at Plantation Bay.  I'll share our highlights through pictures!

IMG_5273

The resort had a pool foam party the first afternoon we were there for several hours.  They had two machines that sprayed soap-like bubbles in the air.  We loved it!  At one point Tessa turned to me and said “I don’t think we have ever had this much fun!” 

IMG_5249

A Korean couple asked our kids if they wanted to use their giant inflatable flamingo.  Tessa would stand up on it and jump off.  I think we had it for several hours.

IMG_5329

The beach was small but nice.  John and James snorkeled the first day and said they saw fish almost as good as when they scuba dive.

IMG_5326

Mango smoothies every day!  Every day!!  (sometimes with strawberries and bananas)

IMG_5319

The day of the CNY the resort had a dragon dance.  It was loud!  It was so hot we couldn’t imagine how the guys in the costumes were surviving. 

IMG_5300

John and James went scuba driving on Friday for several hours.  They both are naturals in the water.  Emma and I snorkeled with them a few days later but only lasted about 1/2 hour.

IMG_5294

On Sunday John said there was a church just 8 miles away.  We taxied there and took a tuk-tuk home.  The kids said attending this branch was one of their highlights.  I went with Emma and Eliza to YWs and the teacher gave the lesson entirely in English.  It was fun to hear their announcements about a youth temple trip and youth conference.  I asked the president if they usually spoke English at church and they said no, only because we were there.  They said they liked practicing English with us.  Everyone was so friendly.  James made a few friends that are now following him on instagram.  When we looked in the Primary room window, Tessa was up at the front saying the prayer.  I’m glad our kids have no fear when it comes to new places!

On Wednedsay we took the hotel van to the temple.  It was about an hour and 15 minutes away.  The Cebu temple was beautiful and organized.  I’m grateful Tessa was so willing to occupy herself in the waiting room with books, a movie and snacks while the rest of us went in.  There were several couples from Utah on missions there and they were so sweet to us.  Especially when Eliza accidentally left her locker key on her wet jumpsuit and put it down the laundry shoot.  

IMG_5385

IMG_5346

The second resort we stayed at gave us free ice-cream for our entire stay.  Four days of all you can eat ice-cream — a highlight for sure!  We rented paddle boards everyday, swam and relaxed.  We all read a ton of books (John and I for fun, the kids for school).  I feel like it is the only time all year I can read for fun.  But I am trying to change that and have started listening to books on audible as I cook and clean and do things around the house.

IMG_5349

IMG_5355

Emma spent hours in the hammock finishing a book for her Lit class.

IMG_5361

Eliza and I loved the paddle boards.  We would wait for each other on this rock while the other paddled around.

IMG_5460

John gave us each a ride on a jet ski.  

James loves sea food.  We all ate way too much on this trip.  The hotel knew James was gluten free and made sure he always had a fresh loaf of GF bread every morning.  Unfortunately early Thursday morning both Tessa and John woke up throwing up with food poisoning (we were guessing from the Italian meal we ate the night before).  They stayed in the hotel that entire day trying to regain their strength.  Other than that it was a perfect vacation.

IMG_5451

By the last night we were all well rested and talking about Mia and how excited we were to get back to life in Shanghai.  This will go down in my history as a fabulous family vacation!

From the airport we went straight to get Mia.  She was so happy to see us!  Her teacher had been diligent with caring for her finger.  The next morning real life began again with 6am church meetings.

 

One of my favorite things from this month was watching Emma help Tessa get ready for the ES school musical auditions, "A Year With Frog and Toad”.  Not all the 3rd and 4th graders that tried out would make it, so the pressure was on.  The kids were asked to come prepared and to sing a memorized song.  Emma helped Tessa pick “I Don’t Need Anything But You” from Annie.  They practiced every night for about five days.  Tessa had the song down perfectly, with actions and expression.  I waited outside the door during auditions.  When Tessa came out she was beaming and said she thought she had done a good job.  A few days later the cast list was posted and she got the role as a mouse!  On our way home we both talked about how sad we would be next year without Emma in our home to help us with things like — preparing for musical auditions.

Mia loves watching Tessa take piano lessons.  Tessa’s piano teacher is Chinese and is always nice to talk to Mia and ask her about her day.  We told Mia when she no longer uses diapers that she can have a piano teacher too.  In the meantime Emma has been teaching her a few notes.  

IMG_5468

The morning of my 42nd birthday Emma and John set their alarm 15 minutes early (4:45am) and put up these hearts in the kitchen.  The day before they had all written things they love about me on the hearts.    I counted over 50 hearts!  They say things like:  "I love that you want us to be healthy.  I love that you can do a headstand on a paddle board.  I love it when you welcome me home from school.  I love it when you tuck us in at night.  I love that you made me take piano lessons.  I love when you joke around.  I love that you always go to my performances and go out of your way to make me feel love and supported."

What a wonderful birthday present!  I don’t ever want to take these hearts down!

IMG_5478

That afternoon Heidi Miller and Cheryl Johnson had a birthday lunch for me at Heidi’s house.  My friends made delicious salads and rolls.  Heidi made a carrot cake - and sent me home with 1/2 of it.  My driver also gave me a cake and John came home with an Oreo Cookie ice-cream cake from Cold Stone.  

IMG_5489

IMG_5503

I had these chairs made for my birthday present.  I saw them in a magazine a year ago, cut out the picture and have had it in my desk drawer ever since.  They arrived that Friday. 

Saturday, February 20th I was at the school (choreography rehearsal with the ensemble of the Addams Family) and got a phone call from Emma.  She was screaming and I could barely understand her.  She said she just got the email from BYU and she had been accepted.  I put her on speaker phone since I was with most of her friends.  They all cheered too.  Emma is thrilled and we are very happy for her!  The next day at church Emma gave a sacrament talk on obedience.  She looked and sounded like like a college student and sadly it began sinking in that my kids will grow up and move out of the house.