I took Tessa to the orthodontist a few weeks ago. After the x-rays we sat down for a consultation. I should have prepared Tessa better because she thought her teeth were just fine. He talked about the stages and phases she would need to move and adjust her teeth. In the car she cried because she said that every part of her body has something wrong. I told her that fixing her teeth was mostly just cosmetic and she didn’t have to but she decided to go ahead. I made the appointment for braces. On November 1st she got her bottom braces on and a rubber band on a top tooth. In 4-8 weeks they will put the top braces on. She hasn’t complained much but says it is not a joy to eat anymore.
We had scheduled family pictures for Saturday, November 4th. We went with a blue color theme. It showed rain all day in the forecast so the photographer moved us up to 9:00am. It didn’t rain until noon so we felt lucky. She only took photos of us for 11 minutes. We were kinda like “What, that’s all?” so we hope that there is at least one good one we can use for a Christmas card. That afternoon Eliza had set building for her play and James had robotics. Then that night was the night we had all been waiting for: James’ first date since moving to Michigan!
I told him I would pay 1/2 of any date he goes on in hopes to motivate him. I know it is hard because he doesn’t have his drivers’s license. John offered to drive him anytime, anywhere. He doubled with some kids in the stake that he had met at stake activities/dances. Thankfully the other boy could drive so John just had to get James to and from his house. Not quite as embarrassing. James asked Whitney Ward (our stake president’s daughter). They went to Wendy’s and rollerskating. He came home late, happy, and said it was fun.
Family pictures are not as bad as they used to be — no one cried, no one complained too much about the clothes being ugly or itchy and it was quick! I’m sad thinking about the next two Christmases with Emma and James on missions.

