Thursday, December 30, 2010

Christmas Letter 2010

We moved to Shanghai the end of July. It has been a whirlwind ever since Easter when we got the official word of our move. We felt blessed to sell our house so quickly. It was hard to say goodbye to our friends and life in Canton, but we have all adjusted well to living overseas again. We have had our “Shang Highs” and our “Shang Lows” but overall we love it here. We hope this letter finds you all happy and well. May you enjoy the holiday season and rejoice in the birth of our Savior!
Merry Christmas!
Love,
The Larsen Family

Emma (12) - Grandma McAllister always said, “Every family needs a 12 year old girl.” Now I know why! Emma is our best babysitter. She is responsible, organized, dependable…I could go on! She makes every day easier for me. She jumped into our life in China without missing a beat. Her favorite classes at school are Mandarin and Math. She takes a modern dance class after school and is in an early morning choir group. She has been busy with play practice for the Middle School play. This month I have loved hearing her play Jon Schmidt Christmas songs on the piano.

James (10) also plays the piano but his practicing isn’t as relaxing for me. He likes to use the pedal and play loud and fast. He started in the middle school band this year playing the trumpet. His Chinese is getting really good—I have used him as my translator a few times and he taught me how to use our Chinese DVD player. He tried soccer this fall, but likes after-school tennis better. He is also in a morning choir group and sang two solos at church. He made a perfect Benedict Arnold in the 5th grade Revolutionary War wax museum. He never complains about eating rice and vegetables for lunch every day. He is cruising in scouts and has a great group of friends at school!

Eliza (8) got baptized in our friend’s indoor swimming pool in September. It was such a special and beautiful day! She is a terrific big sister to Tessa. They can play together for hours. Eliza is getting good at the piano and while she practices, Tessa waits right by her side. Eliza also takes a modern dance class after school and is in the spirit choir. She thinks it is really cool that her dance and choir teachers both go to our church. She was hired to model for a clothes catalog and loved every minute. She has saved up enough money to get the American Girl doll she has been dreaming of all year!  Grandma Larsen is bringing it when she visits us for Christmas.

Tessa (4) had the hardest time with our transition to China. It took her a few weeks to give eye contact to anyone Chinese and to not cry when I dropped her off at preschool. Now she is thriving and perfectly happy. The only time I see our driver smile and light up is when Tessa talks to him. At parent teacher conference, her teachers said “Tessa’s light for learning is ON!” She gives her teachers hugs all day and loves school. She is proud to say, “I live in the continent of Asia, in the country of China, in the city Shanghai.” It is so fun to see her absorb everything around her.

Laurel - I really like living in Shanghai! I have finally figured out how and where to grocery shop. It only takes me ALL day, hitting the ATM first because the stores only take cash. Then I go to four different stores; one for bread, one for meat and Western food, another for staples, and one for fruits and vegetables. It is exhausting. I like my other days of the week better where I fill my life with Zumba, yoga, teaching dance at Tessa’s school, grading Math papers for James’ teacher, church youth meetings and activities, and discovering cool places in Shanghai.

John is working on the technology licensing contracts for Ford. He goes to Chongqing every couple weeks, but thankfully only for a day or two at a time. He works with the Young Men at church and enjoyed helping his mom edit and publish their family history. He has been planning our trip to Cambodia for the Chinese New Year. We are so excited to host his mom, sister and brother in Shanghai for Christmas.