Monday, February 3, 2014

Mom's cancer is back

On January 13th we received a very sad email from my mom saying that her cancer was back.  When we were visiting them at Christmas mom told us she thought she had a hernia and would have it checked out the next week. When she met with the doctor (a kind Indian surgeon) she found out it was a tumor, not a hernia.  A week later they got test results back showing that her cancer was back. The next day they packed up and left their mission.  This was such a shock to all of us and not the desire of their hearts.  So sad and heartbreaking!

They flew to SLC so mom could begin the treatment at the Huntsman Center.  The treatment includes surgery and chemo for six months.  They are staying with Karen and her family in Holladay.  We are all grateful for the Wilkinson’s for making them so comfortable: Luke gave up his room and Karen and Amie flew to Cincinnati and drove their car back.

We are all praying for a miracle!

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7456/12264798735_a750a6da0a.jpg

Penang Hill

http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3766/12265244744_c0d25751d9.jpg

So glad we spend Christmas with my parents!

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7427/12264786095_6e83dd9666.jpg

 

The same day we received the sad news that my parents were leaving their mission, John received good news from Ford – most likely extending his assignment in Shanghai through mid 2016, which would mean Emma could finish High School in here.  That evening John and I went to Phantom of the Opera (American cast).  It was spectacular with the most amazing sets, costumes and singing. I had a heavy heart all day thinking about my parents on a plane to America and the tears came easily.

http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5494/12262830573_ea465c909e.jpg

 

Last Sunday I was sustained as a Primary teacher.  My calling in the district doesn’t require much during the three hour block so I was always asked to sub in Primary.  After four months of subbing almost every Sunday I talked to the branch president and said it would be easier for me to just have the calling as a Primary teacher so I could teach the same class each week.  Having a different class each week was hard.  The Primary President was thrilled and gave me the 5-6 year old class.  I enjoy the class and we are all responding much better to the consistency.

The weekend before we had a fun district youth activity ice skating.  We brought Tessa and Eliza along since the rest of us needed to be there.  Eliza has several friends that just turned 12 so she fit right in with the group — she can’t wait to turn 12 this fall.