Sunday, February 6, 2011

Emma's trip highlights

"Well, if you ask me, I think Cambodia is the best vacation I’ve ever been on. Maybe it’s because the only other exotic foreign vacations I’ve done were when I was six years old. Everyone’s been asking what my favorite part of the whole trip was and I really don’t know how to answer that question. I loved the pool. It was so hot every day and it was really nice to jump into the cold water after hiking around so many temples. The pizza we got for lunch at the pool was delicious, and so were the raspberry and banana smoothies. 

It was really great to see the temples—Angkor Wat was the coolest to me, being one of the Seven Wonders of the World. I also loved riding on the tuk tuks rather than in taxis or walking. You could have fresh air instead of being stuck in a stuffy car half of the day. It was also pretty funny to see Tessa singing about the tuk tuks while skipping around in circles. Another part I really liked was getting to see how different life is for Cambodians. Many of them live in little huts they built themselves and make a living by selling souvenirs to tourists (like me) to buy. Even the kids would come up to us and tell us to buy their bracelets or books or whatever. It was funny to see them act just like their parents—trying to sell stuff we really don’t need. I loved giving the children on the streets and in the floating village candy. They were so sweet and cute when they said “hello” and “thank you” in English. We got the chance to go and see an art school where people make traditional Cambodian art by hand. Some people are just so talented and can make the most amazing things! 

On the last day we saw a silk farm. I have to admit, although silk worms look pretty gross, it’s awesome how they can turn the cocoon into beautiful silk. My favorite part there was when our tour guide ATE a silk worm! It was in a pot, where the cocoon was being boiled into silk, and he just picked it up and stuck it in his mouth! He told us they taste a lot better when they’re fried, though. If you want to know if our trip ended with a bang, actually it was the opposite. It ended by us all going to a massage place and getting a foot massage, each having a nice nap during it! To sum it all up in a sentence, Cambodia was a totally awesome trip!"


Emma and John at Banteay Srey Temple


Angkor Wat


Emma and Eliza at Angkor Wat


Touring the silk farm --this is our tour guide that ate a silk worm in front of us
Posted by Picasa