Sunday, February 6, 2011

John's trip highlights

I have to agree with the kids that this was an awesome vacation for our family. We marveled at historic sites, feasted on delicious food, and relaxed at poolside. While we certainly had our moments of “obnoxiation”, for the most part we even enjoyed being together!

One of the most memorable and touching experiences for me was the visit to the water town on Tonle Sap Lake. It was such a peaceful and beautiful situation, with the sun setting over the water and our own private boat to guide us around. Yet I was disturbed by thoughts that the tuition for one of my kids could probably fund several of the schools we saw. Do we sufficiently appreciate the opportunities and responsibilities that are ours? I think not. Still, throughout the week, I was uplifted by the radiance of the people we encountered. They had such pure, unrestrained smiles and loved to laugh. They clearly have experienced plenty of hardship, but have also found joy in their lives. I know that Heavenly Father loves his children and works in ways beyond my understanding to bring them home.

One of the reasons we enjoy living abroad is the opportunity to expand our kids’ horizons. Visiting Cambodia was a prime example of this. I felt like there was so much to absorb in our time there that we have only scratched the surface. I hope we will continue to reflect on these experiences and deepen our appreciation for our blessings and the beautiful world around us.


Boat ride on Tonle Sap Lake


One of the houses on the water village


Saying goodbye to some of the children after docking and touring their school

Posted by Picasa