"I had two main highlights of this trip: the first temple we went to, Angkor Thom, and the awesome souvenirs. I used the money Grandma Larsen gave me for Christmas. In Cambodia they use US dollars so I was set. I love the hat I got the most, it made me feel like Indiana Jones -- hiking through the temples to find artifacts. I also bought a big drum, mainly for decoration even though it is fun to play (my sisters think it is annoying). I got a stone carving of a monkey covering his eyes, giving me the message “see no evil” and I got a small stuffed lizard and a t-shirt.
Enough about souvenirs, now on to Angkor Thom, the temple I thought was the coolest. I really enjoyed climbing higher and higher, and jumping from rock to rock. There were so many temples to see and explore. After we thought we had seen it all, my dad and I discovered another towering temple hidden behind a wall and some trees. There was tons of stone stairs but it was worth the amazing view. It was really fun, even though eventually my sisters were complaining because it was too hot and they wanted to go swimming. What an experience! I also loved the banana shakes I would get at the pool. Fish massages are really popular in Cambodia. There are tanks of fish on every corner. You can pay to put your feet in and the fish suck off all your bacteria. My sisters thought it smelled gross. My mom tried it for a few seconds but didn’t like it. My dad and I thought it was cool. I kept my feet in there for ½ hour."
James with his new hat and drum
